Penalties Upon Conviction For First Offense DWI in NJ
The possible consequences for a first conviction for Driving While Intoxicated in NJ vary depending on the nature of the offense. The following is a guide to help those charged with DWI better understand the possible consequences. Remember that every DWI offense is fact specific and a DWI lawyer should be contacted to discuss the specifics of the case.
NJSA 39:4-50 DWI> BAC .08% or more but less than .10% or operating under the influence alcohol
- Fine between $250-400
- Possible jail time of up to 30 days
- DL revoke/suspend of 3 months
- Other $ penalties> VCCB $50, DDEF $100, SNSF $75, NJSA 39:4-50(i) $100
- Court may order participation in supervised visitation program as a condition of probation
- No community service for first offense
- Intoxicated Driver’s Resource Center 12 to 48, satisfy the screening and referral requirements, to be completed on 2 consecutive days of at least. If these requirements are not met, 2 day mandatory jail sentence and no reinstatement of privileges until requirements met.
- May order the installation of Ignition interlock device
- Motor Vehicle Surcharges of $1000 per year for three consecutive years.
- 9 insurance eligibility points
NJSA 39:4-50 DWI> BAC .10% or drugs at any intoxicating level
- Fine between $300 and $500
- Jail sentence not to exceed 30 days
- Suspend license not less than 7 months not more than 1 year
- Other $ penalties: See above
- Other non $ penalties: See Above
If you have been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in New Jersey and have questions about your case, call for a free consultation. Don’t believe for a second that you can’t win your case. The state must prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and the best DWI lawyers make sure they hold the state to this burden.Essex County, Hudson County, Jersey City, Hoboken, Newark, Weehawken, Maplewood, South Orange, West Orange, Roseland, Verona, Cedar Grove, Union City